Child Fairy/Wood Nymph Costume

When my daughter asked to be a fairy for Halloween I of course didn’t just buy a fairy costume on Amazon or throw a pair of wings on her dance tutu. I made her become a fairy.

 

I think it turned out rather fabulous. It was pretty simple to make although fake flowers are wayyyyy more expensive then I thought they’d be.

I made the underdress out of some scrap satin– just a tube dress with ribbon spaghetti straps. I put elastic around the top so that it would go on and off easier. The pink is just chiffon sewn into 2 long rectangles and then criss crossed over her body and tacked in place. I really just sewed it together how it looked the best. If I wanted it to be more gathered in one spot I sewed it there. I knew that with all the flowers on there that washing isn’t an option so that made it so much easier to just sew it how it looked best.


It went together like how the fairies on Sleeping Beauty sewed her dress. Well kinda. It wasn’t at all like sewing a real gown, but it looked beautiful and that’s all that counts right?

 

The crown is grapevine with flowers wired on and the shoes were old slippers with flowers hot glued on.


This whole project was very much made up as I went along. I held up the flowers/vines to the dress and if I liked it I sewed it on.


 

But come on. ..

img_9179

 

Professional photos done by Kim Chaffin Photography

 

Nick Offerman American Flag Shirt Tutorial

Hello all!  It’s been a while since I’ve made a tutorial or really written anything. Turns out life is busy and I say yes to too many things. However one of those things I said yes to turned out pretty awesome and I wanted to share it with you all.

A close friend had asked me over a year ago to make him this shirt:

Image result for nick offerman american flag shirt

Image result for nick offerman american flag shirt

I told him that it was possible to make and thought about how to make it, but was consumed with other projects. Time got away from us and almost a year passed before I looked at it again.

My reservations were that I don’t really make much men’s wear. I’ve made my brother an 19th century suit and a few odd men’s items, but that’s not really my thing. I enjoy making frilly gowns and feathery costumes, but a shirt?

Well it pleasantly surprised me.

I started with this Simplicity pattern and started modifying it to mimic this shirt. A few changes I made were to line the sleeves, neck and tabs with a paisley fabric like in the picture above and the personal changes I made were to make french seams instead of leaving a raw edge everywhere (seriously french seams are amazing– they don’t add a lot of labor and make it look so much better).

20160826_104041

an example of the finished french seam– this is the interior of the sleeve/shoulder

I ordered the red striped fabric from Etsy and it’s a duck fabric so it’s slightly heavy, but will be a nice weight for fall/winter wearing. The blue paisley I just got at Hancocks (before it went out of business *sob*) and that’s just a regular blue denim. I couldn’t find a denim with the right size stars so I bought a oil based fabric paint pen and a stencil. This however allowed me to place the stars in exactly the spot I wanted them in without having to think too much while cutting out and sewing. I put 2 layers of paint on them and heat set them. They might could have used 4 or 5 coats to get them as white, but they were still soft with 2 coats and I liked the faded look.

Here are a few photos of the process:

As you can see the red stripes are a little larger and farther apart than the original, but this was the closest I could find. The paisley is also a little more blue than the original, but it was what was available. If you live in a larger city than I do or have a better local fabric store (which I don’t really have one at all now– thanks Hancock’s) you might can find a better fabric, but this is what I had. I top stitched as much as I could — all shoulder seams, around the cuffs, etc, and I finished it with brass snaps. I’ve never really worked with snaps before and these turned out well, but I had to have my husband squeeze them together completely. I guess I should hit up the gym a little more.

Overall it was a pretty simple construction although the fabric was pretty expensive. Total cost for this shirt (fabric and snaps only) was around $70 so if you have to pay for labor on top of that this all of a sudden becomes a very expensive, yet very patriotic shirt.

However my friend loves it and I fully expect him to get every penny’s worth out of it!

 

20160831_201046

20160831_201034

If that’s not a happy face I don’t know what is!

A few pattern notes:

This pattern was well put together and easy to follow. However as I stated above I added the french seams because raw edges drive me crazy. You could also use a serger, but although I have a nice serger I don’t like to finish clothes that will be worn often with a serger.

So take your time, finish those edges– believe me it’s worth it.