Wow. This post is going to have crazy spoilers so if you haven’t seen the premier yet: STOP NOW! You were warned.
OK to recap everything that was awesome about this episode:
- The cut that shows that Sam and Dean are not driving away from another disaster, but are in fact in the hospital
- Dean’s reaction to the doctor saying it was all in God’s hands and then his subsequent prayer to Cas
- Tahmoh Penikett. I love this dude and was so excited when I saw that he was an angel. Hopefully he’s not gone just because he’s now inside Sam. Yeah that sounds weird when you explain it like that
- Human Cas. I don’t know that I can say more than that. He was just amazing.
- Dean’s loyalty to Cas after everything that has happened– of course I don’t know that he would have even given up Crowley to someone who was beating the crap out of him.
- This kinda goes along with #4, but Cas’ escape from psycho angel girl was amazing. I don’t think he could have done something like that without all the time he’s spent with the boys. Kinda messed up that I was so happy he killed a teenager.
- Bobby. Bobby. Bobby. I wanted to cry when he told Sam he’d be waiting with a couple of cold ones.
- DEATH! One of my favorite sequences ever on Supernatural is the first time they meet death. This actor looks like death without being comical. I was super excited to see him back last night.
- Cas’ laundromat struggles. I will miss his trench-coat and tie combo, but loved that he recognized his human needs. Too bad he spent that money on a bottle of water though. I’m pretty sure he’s going to be hungry soon.
- Bobby. Oh did I mention him before? Yeah he needs another mention. I was so happy this wasn’t just a weird ghost thing, but a legitimate reason for him to be back.
How I think Sam should cut his hair:
I don’t feel the urge to braid it at this length.
Questions I have:
- Is Ezekiel really who he says he is? I’m thinking not, but how awesome would it be if he WAS and he received doubt and suspicion the whole season just to prove he is who he says he is. I would love to see a good angel. Probably not going to happen here.
- In that line of thought is Ezekiel really too weak to heal him? How convenient that possession is the only way.
- Will the angels be any better than demons now that they have fallen? Or perhaps it will make them want to help humans more after they see first hand the day to day struggles they go through. Yeah probably not. Obviously something is up since psycho angel girl didn’t heal herself after the car crash.
- How pissed is Sam going to be when he finds out that Dean stuck and Angel in him? OK maybe I know they answer to this question, but WOW that is going to be ugly.
- Why didn’t Dean look to Crowley before he looked to the angels? He was almost cured so surely he would be open to helping Sam out.
- Is Crowley really the King of Hell anymore? I’m guessing he has been demoted.
- Did Death know that he wasn’t really going to take Sam? He is mostly omnipotent so maybe that’s why he went personally. I feel like he likes the Winchesters in his own way so maybe he just wanted to hang out for a bit. No? Still I feel like he probably knew what was going to happen.
- Will Cas be able to see that Sam has an angel inside him? I’m guessing not now that his Grace is gone, but maybe that’s how Sam will find out. As in Cas gets his Grace back and then realizes what Dean has done and announces it.
- When is Sam getting a hair cut? Now I like my Jared Padalecki shaggy, but I feel like he’s crossing a line. Like a mousse/blowdry line. Please. Trim it up.
- What is the plan with Crowley? I really want to see him more and my favorite Crowley episodes were when he was working with the boys. Yes he had his own agenda, but he makes a great bad-good guy.
Overall I thought this was a solid season premier which I have to say I didn’t feel the same with the start of season 8. There is mystery with the whole angel inside Sam situation, a bunch of big bads in the corners (the angels, Abaddon, Crowley, etc), Cas of course needs help, but there isn’t the confusion we experienced last season with the whole Purgatory crap. I’m excited to see where they go with this and if they try to tie up the loose ends from last season (Amelia and Benny) or if they are just going to disappear into oblivion like their half brother still stuck in hell. What are your opinions? Tell me in the comments after watching that clip of Death that I was talking about earlier.
Truly the best sequence in the show.
- Supernatural Season 9 Premiere: “I Think I’m Gonna Like It Here” (acollectivemind.wordpress.com)
- ‘Supernatural’ season premiere recap: ‘There ain’t no me if there ain’t no you.’ (popwatch.ew.com)